Do you have questions? We’ve got answers.

If you can’t find your answers, go to our CONTACT page and send us a message or call us for the fastest answers at: (360) 384-8011.

Click the + sign for the answer

What are your hours? +

  • We are open seven days a week from 7:30 am to 5:55 pm during the summer, and in the winter we close 30 minutes earlier at 5:25. The closing five minutes before the hour or half hour is our front gate, we do let customers finish their transactions after entering the facility.

When are the best days? Hours? +

  • Weekends are the busiest, but if you come early in the morning, we are the least busy. We have three scales to check out on busy days to speed up the visits. Note that even if you enter through the main entrance, you can elect to exit from any scale houses; they are linked together for your convenience.

Are you closed on holidays? +

  • We are open seven days a week from 7:30 am to 5:55 pm (summer hours) close 30 minutes earlier in the winter, including almost all holidays. Please check for limited hours on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day.

I'm a first timer, "What Do I Do?" +

Do I need to wait in line if I'm just dropping off recyclables? +

  • For paper, cardboard, cans, bottles you must check-in and out at the scales and pay the recycle $5 fee per visit. For a list of acceptable recycle material, click here.

Where are you located? +

  • Use Google map or Bing Map to locate us at 4916 Labounty Drive, Ferndale, WA 98248.

Do you take check? Cash? Credit Card? +

  • We accept cash, checks, and credit and debit cards. A $30.00 fee applies to all NSF checks.

Can I set up a company charge account for monthly billing? +

Do I need an appointment? +

  • No. We are open every day, including most holidays.

Can you come to my house or business to pickup? +

  • RDS is a recycling and disposal transfer station. We do not make "house calls." Our customers bring their materials to us by truck or car.

  • For home pickup, you need to contact other companies. We have provided a list of companies on our PARTNERS page that you can contact to make the needed arrangements for residential pickup.

Can I dispose of liquids? +

Can I dispose of paint? +

  • We accept latex and water-based paint for disposal as long as it is solidified. We cannot accept liquids, so you must allow your paint to dry out before bringing it in for disposal. You may mix in kitty litter or sawdust to speed up the process. We do not accept oil-based paint because it is considered toxic. Please please call Whatcom County's Disposal of Toxics at (360) 380-4640. for information regarding disposal of oil-based paint.

Can I dispose of a lawnmower? +

  • We do accept lawnmowers as long as the oil and gas have been drained. See our Rates page for Metal Recycling cost.

Can I dispose of batteries? +

  • Car batteries are accepted for recycling at RDS. Our standard household garbage rates apply. Please inform scalehouse staff when you come in if you have a car battery that you will be dropping off. At this time, we do not have a recycling program for batteries other than lead-acid batteries.

Can I dispose of a microwave? +

  • Yes. Metal rates apply to microwaves.

Can I dispose of a mattress? +

  • Yes. Standard household garbage rates apply to the disposal of mattresses.

Can I dispose of fluorescent light bulbs? +

  • No. Please call the please call Whatcom County's Disposal of Toxics at (360) 380-4640 for information on disposing of fluorescent light bulbs.

Can I dispose of a propane tank? +

  • Yes. We charge a $5.00 fee (not including tax) to recycle a propane tank. Propane tanks are taken to a propane company that can properly handle them so they may be recycled.

Can I recycle electronics? +

  • The following electronics are accepted for recycling: televisions: computer monitors, computers, and laptops. We do not have a recycling program for any other electronics at this time, but they are accepted as household garbage.

Why are refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioning units more expensive to dispose of? +

  • We charge a $35.00 fee for refrigerators, freezers, and air conditioning units because they have refrigerants in them. This fee covers the cost of having the refrigerants removed. They must be removed by an EPA licensed technician.

Where does the garbage go? +

  • RDS will attempt to do further recycling at our facility and then what can't be recycled is taken to the Columbia Ridge Landfill owned by Waste Management in Arlington, Oregon. See more about our process on the SUSTAINABILITY section of our website.